Make Money Online by NOT Doing These 6 Things…
I’ve run an online business for over a decade now and I didn’t start out making money online. It took a while to build up to a 6-figure online business and to be quite honest with you, I’ve wanted to “quit” hundreds of times over the past 10+ years. The good news is I stuck it out and kept plugging away because deep inside I believed in what I was teaching, the message I have and I believed if others could do it, so could I.
It is hard in the beginning when there is so much too learn like blogging with keywords, search engine optimization, building an email list, using programs like Aweber, building websites, copywriting, creating online courses and programs, doing webinars, getting paid traffic, publishing on Amazon…and the list goes on.
Having an online business isn’t for everyone.
It’s not easy, but in my opinion, it is definitely worth the time and money freedom I have. I see so many people unhappy in their jobs and working just to survive and I don’t want that. In fact, I’ve been there as I spent 17 years in the legal field as a paralegal and legal secretary and at the end of those 17 years I was making $50,000 a year, living paycheck to paycheck, trying hard as a single mother to support my 3 young children.
Now I work when I want to (I’m a night owl, so I tend to do a lot of work in the evenings or middle of the night) and I get to spend my time how I want. I also get to choose my amazing clients and I don’t have to worry about money like I used to in my younger days.
I just want you to know that it doesn’t happen overnight and you have to be in this for the long haul.
I know there are a lot of promises to make money “fast”, but the only short-cut I ever found was working with a highly trained mentor. I have a coach myself and I invest 5 figures a year with my coach. Good coaches aren’t cheap. So if you want a short-cut, get a Coach that is doing what you want to do and is at the level you want to be at.
I started my year-long master mind group — The Rising Stars program — this year to help people get to the next level in their business and achieve their goals in the shortest amount of time. It is an “invitation only” group because I only want to work with highly motivated people who are action takers and who won’t quit.
With all of my years experience, I know a lot about what “not” to do. So here is my…
6 Reasons Why You are NOT Making Money Online:
- You get paid for your “time” instead of the value or transformation you bring to your clients. Coaching at $100 an hour may sound great, especially if you are in a 9-5 job making $20 an hour, but it’s really the same game — trading hours for dollars. Granted, as a $100 an hour coach, you’re making 5x the amount of your 9-5 job, but your time is still limited. In other words, you can never scale your business because there are only so many hours in the day. If you want to make money online you must think one to many instead of 1:1. You must focus on the transformation and value you bring to the client instead of an hourly rate.
- You have a high tolerance for low pay. This is what I call “under-earning” and it’s a big problem among smart, savvy, educated, talented, creative women who simply don’t see their value and as a result they under-charge for their services. The cure for this is to work on your internal obstacles and mindset you have to making money (which most of the time has to do with self-worth and self-esteem). The cure for this problem is to double or triple your rates, move out of your comfort zones and allow prosperity into your life. You are worthy! I know, because I did this for many years (under-charging) and it wasn’t until I hired my coach and restructured my business model and my pricing that I was able to double my income! If you want to make 6-figures online you must started offering premium/high-ticket packages that provide a high level of transformation for your clients. One of my Roadmap Reports in my monthly membership program reviews all the details in creating premium packages.
- Your Target Market is too wide. You’re trying to help everyone and you struggle to get clients is a common problem I hear among coaches, consultants and business owners. Recently I was watching “Beyond the Tank” which is based on the results of entrepreneurs that the sharks on the hit television show, Shark Tank, invest in. There was a company called “Frill Clothing” which started out as a one stop shop for Sorority Club’s to order clothing and accessories. However, they started trying to market as a bridesmaid clothing company and the business started to suffer. The advice from their “shark” Mr. Wonderful, was that the wedding industry was highly competitive and a place where they didn’t have the money to compete…so he told them to get back to their sorority market and stop trying to market in the wedding industry. You must focus on who you can help (the narrower the better) and what result you can get that group of people. Stop trying to help everyone because you will end up helping no one.
- You’re a perpetual student. I see this all the time with students who never “pull the trigger” of their online business and therefore never make money online. I’ve had clients pay me thousands of dollars to build a website and then they never promote it, they never blog on it and they never build a list or sell anything. If this sounds like you, you’re hiding under the guise of being a “student” when in reality you probably have all the basics you need right now to start taking action and making money. But instead, you keep signing up for new programs and new software and the latest and greatest blah blah blah! STOP the madness! There’s a season to learn, but there’s also a season to lead. Be the leader that you are!
- You’re trying to build a business on FREE information. If you wanted to invest in a McDonald’s franchise you would spend over $1 million dollars and you would be required to go to “Hamburger University”. They wouldn’t expect you to learn it on your own or waste time trying to reinvent the wheel. They have training for that. Most people who fail online keep trying to do it alone and the basis of their “training” is FREE information online. If you want to be successful, you must treat this like a real business and not a hobby. If you want a real business and you want to make money online, then invest in great training and a great mentor.
- You’ve been run over by the technology train. I always tell my clients, if you don’t get on board the technology train then you will most likely get run over it. Believe me, I’m not a technology wiz, but I have had to learn technology in order to build my online business. Now some people just don’t have the aptitude for technology (or the desire to learn it) and to those people my advice is to learn the basics so you can then outsource what you need. If you work with a highly trained mentor, then they can refer you to their outsource team to get things done. Technology is probably the biggest obstacle to making money online. I have a client in my Rising Stars Mastermind program who makes over $300,000 per year and he wasn’t a technology genius when he started. He was an average guy running a brick and mortar business, but he did something very smart: he got professional training in some key areas: InfusionSoft, WordPress, Aweber, and Google Adwords. He got certified and now he doesn’t let technology stop him from his dreams.
If you truly want to make money online then start treating this like a real business that you have to “invest” in. If you don’t have money to invest, then you aren’t ready to start an online business. If you’re going to build your business on free websites with free information, then you will probably struggle for a long time “unless” you are a technology genius, then you probably will be successful. People who have technology skills do have a greater advantage, but don’t let that stop you from your dreams.
You can make money online and be successful. My suggestion is to start with someone you trust who can show you the way.
If you have a little money to invest monthly, then I recommend my “Roadmaps Report” monthly membership program.
If you are a professional with a budget to invest in training and a mentor, then I encourage you to apply for my Rising Star program.
I wish you the best of luck!