Book Marketing Plan & Checklist to Help You Double Your Book Sales
After running an online business for 10 years now, I decided to publish my first eBook on Amazon in 2011. I have to admit that I didn’t do any marketing for this book at the time; I simply “published” it and sat back waiting for sales to roll in.
Guess What? They never did! I had zero sales!
Coincidentally, I met an author at a Networking event I was attending who shared with me some of her marketing secrets about how she became an Amazon Best Selling author.
So I took a year of my time and decided to do massive research about how to get a book on the Amazon Best Seller’s list which consequently would bring in more downloads, sales, exposure and leads!
A year later, armed with all of my research and knowledge, I published a new ebook called “Never Work Again: 6 Secrets to Earning a Play-Check Instead of a Pay-Check” and on October 23, 2012, I had 2,128 downloads of that book and the following day, October 24, 2012, I had 148 downloads of my book…which catapulted me to the Amazon Best Seller’s list!
It’s important to know that Amazon updates their “Best Seller’s List” hourly, so you could be on the list for a while, but if you don’t continue to market your book or your book doesn’t go viral on it’s own, then it will probably fall off the Best Seller’s list….but that’s okay because you can easily get back on the Best Seller’s list anytime you want to! *This is what I teach in my Amazon Best Seller’s Author Program!
It’s very important for you to understand the value in getting on Amazon’s Best Seller’s List:
- MORE Exposure to the 300+ million people on Amazon waiting to buy!
- MORE Respect and Prestige in Your Industry!
- MORE Business Sales!
- MORE Income from Speaking Engagements;
- MORE Book Sales!
- MORE Joint Venture Partners interested in working with You!
- MORE Press Attention!
- MORE Publicity from Amazon because you are on their radar now!
- MORE Celebrity Status!
- MORE Attention from Potential Publishers and Literary Agents!
- MORE Cash!
- MORE Success!
The #1 reason you want to get on Amazon’s Best Seller’s list is because once you do, you are now on Amazon’s radar. In other words, you went from a nobody to a somebody. You aren’t invisible to Amazon any longer, because you did something the majority of author’s don’t do…you made it to their Best Seller’s List. As a result, Amazon will now start recommending your book to their customers in a variety of ways!
If Amanda Hocking, age 26, can make millions of dollars from her eBooks on Amazon, then you can too…but first you need a plan!
These are the 7 Key Foundations for Your Book Marketing Plan!
HERE IS A BOOK MARKETING PLAN CHECKLIST:
- A well written book with great content;
- A professionally edited book; (don’t do this yourself; outsource this to a professional editor!)
- A well designed eBook cover that looks great in a 1-inch thumbnail! I use www.fiverr.com to get my eBook covers made.
- A carefully optimized title and subtitle for your book; this is one of the biggest mistakes authors make. They don’t have keywords in their title and/or sub-title. I have a piece of software I use to “spy” on the competition called eBook Niche explorer which gives me the keywords for my book topic. It’s similar to using Google’s keyword planner to discover the keywords people are typing in google to find your website and your product/service. In Amazon, it’s important to know the keywords people are typing in to find your type of book. Many authors fail to use these important keywords.
- A great description of your book (sales copy); not everyone is a sales copy writer so I suggest having a professional copywriter write the description of your book.
- Select the correct categories for your book. Amazon allows you to choose 2 categories and when your goal is to get on the Amazon Best Seller’s list, you MUST select the proper categories for you book. It’s complicated to explain here, but this is part of what I do for my clients in my Amazon Best Seller’s Author Program.
- A WordPress website/blog where you have an optin form that gives away a free gift. This is important because on the first few pages of your book you should make an offer for readers to go to your site to get your free gift. This helps build your list of potential customers to market to. Even if they don’t purchase your book, when they are looking at the “preview” of your book, many people will see your FREE offer and go to your website and sign up. My free offer on my website is a copy of my eBook “The Lazy Woman’s Guide to a 6-Figure Income“!
- A Facebook Fan page that you are going to use to promote your book; so many authors don’t use social media and I’m going to tell you what I tell all my clients: “Get on board the technology train or you will get run over by it.” So when it comes to book sales… get on board the social media train or you will get run over by it. Facebook is a big part of marketing and promoting your book!
- A Twitter page that you are going to use to promote your book. Don’t underestimate the power of Twitter to market your book. When I am doing a client’s promotion or launching their book, Twitter is 80% of our marketing strategy!
- A Linked-In page that you are going to use to promote you book; another good vehicle to promote your book on.
- 5 positive reviews for your book; many books have zero reviews or they have a lot of bad reviews. Obviously, you can’t control all of the reviews, but when you are first launching or publishing your book it’s important to have 5 people review your book. This is also important in being able to list your books on other websites because many of them require at least 5 positive reviews.
- Have other sites promote your book. Here is a list of some of those sites: http://ezseonews.com/kindle-publishing/kindle-book-promos/
- Creating an Author Central Profile page is easy and important to your success. You can do this at: https://authorcentral.amazon.com/gp/help An Author Central Profile page increases your chances of success by:
- Helping customers/potential customers get to know you;
- Educating customers/potential customers about your book;
- Gives you the opportunity to add photos, videos, other books you’ve published on Amazon, blog link, feeds, etc for others to review;
- Connects your profile page to all books you publish on Amazon. (You can get to your Amazon profile page when someone is on your book landing page and they click on your name as the Author; it is a “live” link).
Once you get your book to the Amazon Best Seller’s list, then it’s important to continue to market your book by being interviewed on radio shows, sending out Press Releases of your book, having bloggers review your book, marketing on social media, teaching classes about your topic, doing webinars on your topic, Facebook Advertising, and more!
Join my other Amazon Best Seller’s Author Program and start getting the recognition and the income you deserve! Here are a few of the books from my authors that have become Best Sellers! Once of my students, Nancy Hartwell, author of Harem Slave, is now making enough from her book on Amazon to pay her mortgage! You can be one of my success stories too!